Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Book Review: Boy Proof [2005]

Inscribed with a dedication to "all nerdy girls everywhere," Boy Proof, by Cecil Castellucci, an endearing romantic comedy-type novel set in Hollywood, has plenty of Sci-Fi references to go around. Now, as someone who recently made an X-Files related "Erlenmeyer Flask" reference in casual conversation, I may be biased, but I found the book's geekiness refreshing and engaging. Victoria "Egg" Jurgen is obsessed with the Sci-Fi movie Terminal Earth to the point where she dresses like Egg, its main character, quotes extensively from the movie, and holds everyone and everything else at a generous distance. She believes that her big brain and general aloofness have made her "boy proof," which of course invites the introduction of the other main character, Max Carter, a cool transfer student who seems genuinely smart and wonders why Egg doesn't use her talents for some better purpose. Cue adorableness!

Grade: B+/A-

Random Thoughts:

Castellucci's website. I imagine she gets mistaken for a male author quite often. I wonder if it's ever to this extent. The only other thing I've read by her was The Plain Janes. I should probably read the sequel to that, huh?

My favorite quote from Boy Proof:
I wish I smoked cigarettes or had a flask or did something self-destructive to get rid of this burning black feeling inside of me. Instead I resort to biting my nails.
I think I feel this way far too often, for a non-teenager. Maybe I should get a vice.

No comments: