Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Movie Review: Coraline

Just a quick note to endorse the newly released movie Coraline, as many others already have. I've never read the book, but do follow the author's blog as well as several other blogs that were involved in the fantastic marketing push before the movie's release. The theater was not full, and the crowd was distressingly loud, but the movie itself was well plotted and paced, and the animation was lush and realistic. I wish I had a house like that. We opted to see the movie in 3D, which was . . . unnecessary? Ultimately it didn't seem to add or detract to much from the viewing experience, except the annoyance of wearing glasses over your glasses. If you don't want to pay the $3.50 3D glasses surcharge, don't bother with the 3D version. Whatever else, the experience has motivated me to read the book (or, more precisely, listen to the audio version read by Gaiman himself), which I am glad to see is in high demand in my library system.

3 comments:

Cassandra Mortmain said...

Oh, thanks for the tip Anna. I've been putting off going to see this, wondering how I was going to find a T-accessible 3D movie theatre, but if you think the third dimension doesn't add that much, I'll just go ahead and see it in regular. It looks great, and I remember enjoying the book.

I'm with you on trying to read new things-- just requested 5 books off of Jezebel's 100 Books Every Woman Should Read list through the MIT libraries-- but I am, of course, actually re-reading a book... with another re-read on deck to follow it.

I am incorrigible. Also: this is why I like reading children's books. Even if 1/2 of the books I read in a given month are re-reads, I can still read a respectable number of new titles, because kids books are so lovely and fast to read.

reguvardan said...

Thank you for the absolutely wonderful job you did on this blog.Good Job Keep it up and thank you for all of your hard work
News4andhra.com is a Telugu news portal and provides
Telugu Movie News, Latest and Breaking News on Political News and Telugu Movie Reviews at one place

Unknown said...

Best online news portal here you can find updates on politics, General reviews, interviews and many more both in English and Telugu.