Monday, February 9, 2009

My Kingdom for Some Free Time

So, after reading this List of 10 Awesome Fantasy Series, I am even more convinced that my New Year's Resolution (which was not to re-read, as is my perpetual habit, but to read new things) was right on the mark! However, I am at the moment caught re-reading a book in order to read a new book in the series. The book is Cyteen, by C.J. Cherryh, which was recommended to me by my sister (my guru for SF that I might actually like) quite some time ago. I read it, I enjoyed it--it was originally published in the 80s, won the Hugo Award, and it is awesome! End of story.

However, I read recently that Cherryh was coming out with a direct sequel, Regenesis. Well, that caused a quandary. Is it worth it to read a 680 page book (which had been split for publication into three shorter books at some point, but not apparently at Cherryh's will) to catch up on everything that happened? The answer is, of course, yes. Especially for Cherryh, who is dense, and asking her readers tough questions about cloning, and nature vs. nurture, and expansionism, and human psychology. I have deliberately avoided reading plot summaries for Regenesis, as I do not want to be spoiled for the rest of Cyteen. If it sucks, I don't want to know until I get to the last page. When I'm done, I'll go back to tackling one of the 80+ items on my immediate "to-read" list, none of which I have read before.

No comments: